Friday, May 01, 2015

Teniversary Countdown #25: How comic books destroyed the Avengers

This month, (nearly) all month, favorite panels from the tenth issues of my favorite comic book series, in celebrating of my encroaching tenth anniversary of blogging! Frankly, I am not at all certain how I did blogging during those first four years.

Kicking it off, seein' as it's National Avenging Day or somethin' like that, some panels from the tenth issue of The Avengers!


Panels from Avengers (1963 series) #10 (November 1964), script by Stan Lee, pencils by Don Heck, inks by Dick Ayers, colors probably by Stan Goldberg, letters by Sam Rosen

Yes, folks, Immortus, Master of Time, using an ad in a comic book to ensure his victory over the Avengers. I like to think it would go...a little something like this:

FLO STEINBERG: Hello sir, welcome to Marvel Comics. How can I help you?
IMMORTUS: I have returned! I trust I am not to late to place this "advertisement" on the back page of all your "comic magazines"?
FLO: Um, no, actually, not at all. In fact, we were just closing the ad deadlines on our next issues. You're just in time.
IMMORTUS: Excellent! Victory shall be mine!

(two hours later:)
FLO STEINBERG: Hello sir, welcome to Marvel Comics. How can I help you?
IMMORTUS: I am Immortus, Master of Time! And I have come to place this "advertisement" on the back page of all your "comic magazines!"
FLO: Oooh, I'm sorry, Mister Mortus, but we just sent all this month's issues to the printer. Our ad deadline was two hours ago!
IMMORTUS: Curses! (storms out)
STAN LEE: Who was that, Flo?
FLO: I don't know, boss. Never seen him before.

No comments: